Monday, September 23, 2013

Harvest Monday–23 Sep 2013

Slim pickings from the garden this week while waiting for the fall crops to reach harvest stage. The weather was moderate with a lot of daytime sunshine and cool nights, with an occasional rain storm. The squash and cukes are kaput, except for the Tromboncino squash which is still trying to put out a few more fruit. My peppers are rebounding and I got a nice crop of the Aconcagua frying peppers. Meanwhile I have been clipping some of the herbs for drying before they get killed by a frost.

 

harvest

 

The week was brightened a little by the arrival of some of the seed garlic I ordered last month. I grew two varieties last year, German Extra Hardy and Red Chesnok, and they are safely stored in my basement now, with some bulbs reserved for seed stock this fall. We have been enjoying it and it is amazing how much better tasting fresh hard neck garlic is than the spongy bulbs in the supermarkets this late in the season. Some of the supermarket garlic is actually imported from China so you have to check carefully.

 

Since the experience growing garlic this year was so satisfying, I went looking for just one more variety, maybe Spanish Roja which I considered buying last year. I found it but along the way was intrigued by Viola Francese, a softneck garlic popular in southern France and Italy, so I bought some of that. Then searching for reviews of the Francese, I kept encountering rave reviews about Rosso di Sulmona, a hardneck garlic from the Sulmona area of Abruzzo. That variety is imported from Italy by Seeds of Italy, and fortunately for me they receive their stock late because of USDA inspections and fumigation, so I was still able to order it this late. And they ship very quickly.

 

RossoDiSulmona_garlic

 

Above is the Rosso di Sulmona, nice big bulbs with large cloves covered with a purple-striped skin. Seeds of Italy is very generous, throwing in some loose cloves with the four bulbs to make sure I got my half-pound of garlic.

 

Viola_Francese_garlic

 

This is the Viola Francese, my first softneck artichoke variety, so I hope it does well in my climate. I got it from Cook’s Garden, which I guess is now owned by Burpee’s since it came in a Burpee’s box from Warminster, PA. You can see a tinge of the violet color on the wrappers, but the cloves themselves are an orange-brown color. I’m still waiting for the Spanish Roja from High Mowing Seeds, so still something nice to expect in the mail.

 

That’s what is going on in my garden this week. See what other gardeners around the world are doing by heading over to Daphne’s Dandelions, our host for Harvest Monday.

10 comments:

  1. Such a bummer when the harvests start to shrink, huh? I really need to get around to my herbs too! It has just been so busy since school started that I have not paid as much attention to the garden. I didn't get hardly any fall stuff going. :(
    I hope you get a great garlic harvest. Those look like beautiful choices! Nice little harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I did better with the fall planting this year but it is still difficult to think of planting lettuce and radish seeds in 90+ August weather.

      Delete
  2. Still a lovely harvest! We've been debating whether or not we should wait for our tromboncino to turn color before picking — any thoughts? We love the Rosa di Sulmona, great flavor that lives up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the skin of the Tromboncino is tenderer if you pick it while still green.We (or at least I am) are liking the texture better than zucchini - drier and less gritty.

      Delete
  3. Alright, that's it! After lots of talk and no action, I'm growing some Tromboncino squash next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering they're butternut family so resistant to borers and seem pretty tolerant of the nasty PM this year, they have lots of pluses. Just be sure to trellis them or prepare for an invasion.

      Delete
  4. Great looking peppers Dave! My pepper plants seem to be rebounding too after a horrible season but unfortunately too late for any new fruits unless we get a very late frost. Don't you just love that trombocino?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly planted smaller pepper varieties this year so they develop pretty fast. Just the Lipstick seem to take a longer time to ripen.

      Delete
  5. Hi Dave, I'm new to your blog but am so glad I found it. I started a sf garden a few years ago and love to see how others are doing. I am planning on trying the tromboncino in the spring. I've heard it stands up well to disease and pests and I have problems with both when it comes to squash.

    I can relate to your garlic story. Last year I planted a half pound of Inchelium Red softneck garlic that tastes so good that, even though many were small, I doubled my order this year. Then I started looking at adding one more variety (sound familiar?) that led to another, etc. I am now waiting for 8 lbs of garlic and a pound of shallots to arrive! I believe I will be trading some to a friend for fresh eggs and honey or looking for ways to sneak the bulbs into my front yard (not allowed to veggie garden in view of the street or neighbors).

    Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We get a lot of chinese garlic here too. My garlic isn't looking that promising at the moment and I know I didn't plant nearly enough. They year before last I manage to plant enough for the whole year but I have already run out of last years crop and I planted less this year. I can see I will have to buy a lot to store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and value what you have to contribute to the discussion.

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC