Monday, July 21, 2014

Harvest Monday 21 July 2014

As a little reminder of how nasty last winter was, the local paper says that the selectmen are dealing with a budget deficit from last winter when the highway department had to treat roads for 45 separate storms, the most in Bolton history. We are now having a spell of great summer weather. It did rain Tuesday and Wednesday , but except for that daytime temperatures have been in the 80s and overnight temperatures in the 60s. The garden has responded by putting on a growth spurt. The warm weather vegetables are close to yielding large amounts of veggies while the cool weather vegetables have bolted or shut down. Tomatoes and peppers look very healthy and the summer squash and beans are about to deliver.

 

cabbage&turnips

 

I harvested the first Soloist Chinese cabbage. After removing chewed up outer leaves and de-slugging it, it weighed in at 2.5 pounds. This was supposed to be a miniature cabbage. Half of this went into an Asian Cole slaw for the Sunday BBQ. Since I have garlic chives in the garden, I’m thinking the rest goes into dumplings.

 

The last broad beans were harvested and I pulled out the plants, along with the peas. I got about a half cup of shelled beans total out of the effort. They were tasty but I am inclined not to waste the space next year. I also pulled a few of the Jaune Boule d’Or turnips which were ready. The freed up pea/fava bed was planted with beets and spinach. The only trouble with seeding raised beds this time of year is I now have to water the seed beds every day or risk getting nothing, the beds dry out so fast.

 

peppers_etc

 

The first of the warm weather vegetables are making their debut. I picked a handful of Provider bush beans, a few Sishito and Jalapeno peppers, and a Y-Star patty pan. This is first time growing Y-Star and I am not sure what to expect.The catalog pictures show it a golden yellow with a green spot on the blossom end. Mine started out dark green and then gradually turned yellowish. No green spot on the end, and this one was already pretty large for a patty pan so I harvested it. Eating quality was good but I think I’m back to Sunburst next year. I didn’t photograph it but I removed the rest of the Green Wave mustard, which was starting to bolt, and planted escarole and endive in the freed up space.

 

That’s what happened in my garden this week. To see what other gardeners around the world are doing, visit Daphne’s Dandelions, our host for Harvest Monday.

15 comments:

  1. I usually try to seed right before a stretch of wet weather, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. Then I water every day too. I can't believe you are pulling Napa cabbage right now as mine are long gone. Though I do have one still in the fridge that needs to be used up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted later then you, I suspect. I have one more in the garden I am keeping an eye on, no signs of bolting yet.

      Delete
  2. That patty pan looks NEON in the photo. Neat color. Wonder how much bigger it would have gotten and still be good eating quality and if it would have given you the green spot. Might want to check the catalog and see what it may have been crossed with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a hefty cabbage. I grow a napa cabbage that is supposed to be small, but it too can reach proportions like that. Favas are not hugely productive for the space they occupy, I'm fortunate that I can grow them in the winter for spring harvests and then have ample time to grow summer crops in their place, so I can grow a big patch of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watering new plants or seeds is tough this time of year for sure. I need to sow carrots in a raised bed and I'm not looking forward to the long germination time. That's odd about the pattypan color. I used to grow Sunburst and it was always a prolific producer for me here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The picture was of an Y-Star, which is similar to a Sunburst. For some perverse reason, I decided to try Y-Star this year instead of growing Sunburst. I think I will be back to Sunburst next year, a great squash.

      Delete
  5. Wow, peppers already! It will be a while before my poor plants begin producing. They are so far behind this year. Your patty pan is very interesting. I am curious to see what the others will look like. ~ Rachel @ Grow a Good Life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Sishito peppers look really interesting - I'm assuming they are a hot pepper? What are you planning on doing with them? I have yet to grow a pattypan but it's definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not supposed to be hot. I'm planning to use them the same way as the Padrons I killed, as an appetizer or tapa, quickly sauteed in olive oil with a pinch of sea salt.

      Delete
  7. Now I want to grow that variety of patty pan, it makes my white ones look so bland! I'm a fan of using very wet vermiculite when I plant seeds. It definitely helps hold onto the moisture, plus I can see where I planted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a nice looking head of cabbage! Your peppers are a little ahead of mine. I'll have to try those sishito peppers. The only mild pepper I'm growing this year is 'lipstick'. It's a very sweet red pepper, probably one of the best I've ever tasted. But it would be nice to grow a smaller pepper with higher yields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grow Lipstick and agree they are great. The Shishito peppers are like Padrons, mostly used for tapas. A small sweet pepper you might check out is Jimmy Nardello, prolific, ripen fast, and very tasty.

      Delete
  9. Belatedly reading your Harvest Monday post... I found your comments about the Patty Pan squash interesting because I have had several cases recently where things have turned out to be other than as advertised. I find you can't place too much credence on a Vendor's photo - they often use a generic photo rather than one of the specific variety being sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of folks are seeing variability in seeds this year. Y-Star is an F-1 hybrid so I shouldn't be seeing variability unless they were careless. And the photos are definitely marketing, not necessarily the truth.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and value what you have to contribute to the discussion.

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC