Monday, January 4, 2016

Meyer Lemons



We had a balmy, 70 F (21C) Christmas day, but winter was not far away. On Tuesday we got the remnants of Goliath, which dropped an inch or two of snow and then turned into sleet and freezing rain. With a name like Goliath, is that all you got? Our first storm last year dumped 5 feet/1.5 m.. of snow. Best of all, we got an heating oil truck up the driveway during the storm so I now have a full tank to start off the winter. We are now having some sunny weather and my Meyer lemon tree is enjoying the light reflected off the snow/ice on the deck. The tree spends summer days on the deck and gets yanked inside before really cold nights begin. Note there are five lemons on the tree, which has been a fantastic producer given its small size. It is the holidays and time to use a few of the lemons, which are my Harvest Monday crop.



We picked two of the lemons, which are a little smaller than the first few lemons off the tree but produced almost half a cup of juice. The recipe we used is my mother’s, saved by my sister, Sharon. We used a little less sugar with the Meyer lemon juice because the juice is sweeter than regular lemons, about a cup. The recipe is included below and I apologize it is in American measure. I am not adept at converting recipes.

Lemon Meringue Pie

Filling
 
Ingredients
1 ½ c. sugar (less for Meyer lemons)
3 Tbsp. corn starch
3 Tbsp. flour
1 ½ c. hot water
Pinch of salt
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp. butter
½ tsp. lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 9 inch baked pie shell
1 recipe meringue

Instructions
1. In saucepan, combine sugar with corn starch and flour; then stir in hot water gradually. Bring to boil stirring constantly to make a smooth mixture.
2. Add salt and continue cooking for 8 minutes stirring occasionally until thick.
3. Stir a small amount of the hot mixture slowly into egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return to pan and cook 4 minutes longer. Add butter and lemon zest; stir until melted. Slowly add in lemon juice. Cool the mixture.
4. Pour into pastry shell. Cover with meringue, and bake in 325ยบ F. oven until delicately browned, about 12-15 minutes.


Meringue

Ingredients
3 egg whites
6 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
 
Instructions

Beat egg whites and lemon juice until stiff. Add sugar gradually (1 Tbsp. at a time), beating constantly until soft peaks form. Pile lightly on pie filling, sealing meringue to edges of pie crust.



It is the New Year and it is totally fitting that we start it off with all our/my plans completely blown up. The lemon pie was supposed to be dessert served with our New Years Day dinner but I forgot to make it. So we had it Saturday after the Osso Bucco that was supposed to be our New Years Eve dinner. That got put off while we stuffed our faces with the excess of appetizers I procured for New Years Eve (not to mention the Champagne).  Oh well, hopefully my garden planning goes better. Most of the seed catalogs are in and nothing better than to start planning the new gardening year.

That is my modest harvest this new year. Hope your year starts off wonderful. I do seasonal tax preparation and my season starts Monday, so my blog posts will become less frequent as I start my 75-hour a week work schedule. To see what other gardeners are doing, check out Harvest Monday at From Seed to Table, our host for Harvest Monday during January.

7 comments:

  1. I am so jealous of your meyer lemon tree, wish I had the proper environment to grow one. A large slice of that pie please, yes I am going to have it for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous lemon meringue pie, I'm totally impressed by your little lemon tree's production. And hope you have a fantastic tax season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little tree is producing perfect lemons! And that's a fabulous looking pie. Tis the season for Meyer Lemons here also where they are almost backyard weeds. We indulged in a lemon dessert also, a so called Lemon Cream which is really more like lemon curd, only lighter since the butter is whipped into the custard.

    I hope you take an occasional break from the taxes, I know how overwhelming tax season can be. Been there, done that, don't miss it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pie looks delicious. Lucky, lucky you - having a lemon tree has been on my wish list for years...decades actually. I just wish we had somewhere to put it over the winter as our house doesn't really have a good spot for a large pot near a sunny window. All of the "available" windows in our house face north.

    And your New Years Eve dinner sounds amazing as I for one love having appetizers as a main meal! Hopefully, tax season runs smoothly and swiftly for you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of lemon for a small tree! I've come to like Meyer lemons a lot but not enough to get a tree (yet). Goliath only gave us rain w/o snow and I for one am happy about that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture might just inspire me to try a lemon tree! I have several windows with plenty of southern light during the winter. But I tried growing fig trees and failed rather miserably. Still ... those lemons look really really fresh and juicy. And it's quite a pretty little tree too.

    Best wishes on the busy season ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lemon Meringue Pie is one of my favourite desserts! How nice it must be to be able to make it with home-grown lemons. Good luck with the Tax Returns!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I appreciate your taking the time to comment and value what you have to contribute to the discussion.

Template developed by Confluent Forms LLC